Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Jibber-Jabber

I'm not exactly sure when she started to ask me, but I always drew a blanks. "She" is N's pediatrician, and she would ask how many words N was saying. I'm not sure why I'd draw a blank, but I would. Maybe it's because I wasn't sure what the right answer was. How many should he be saying? What is the magic number she's looking for? I don't know why I would fret over this. I guess it's just that habit every mom has about wanting her child to be keeping up with the pack. Anyways, I've been working on a list so that when we go for N's 18 month appointment in 2 weeks, I would have definite answers. Here's where we stand so far:

  1. ball
  2. dog
  3. mom
  4. book
  5. milk
  6. no
  7. get it (we say this when we throw the ball for the dog, or when n's being lazy)
  8. shoe (we call both socks and shoes this)
  9. trip (the neighbor's dog)
  10. block (still working on this some)
  11. pat (we pat-pat-pat the dog)

These are the ones I hear on a regular basis. Sometimes you hear something, such as he said "amen" once, but I'm only counting what's consistent. Most likely if you came to visit you would think I was crazy by hearing all these words. Most of them aren't perfect, but I know what he's saying. It seems to be that most of the time only the parents can understand the child for a while. It's so great to know what he's saying. I am absolutely loving the communication. It seems to be that we are getting a new word every 5 to 7 days right now. I'll keep everyone posted on anything new he starts saying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. (Its not just Moms.) When Isaac started to talk, people would laugh at us because we would tell them the words he was saying, and they would think he was just babbling nonsense. When you are around a kid every day, YOU know what he is saying.

Nate is well on his way! I only wonder how it could be that he doesn't know "Cornhusker" or "Razorback" yet???

-Brian Hair

Anonymous said...

I've been working on some new tactics. The latest is that each night when A finally falls asleep (that can take a while...) I go to N's crib and whisper "Cornhuskers... Cornhuskers... Nate is a star Cornhusker..."

Subliminal messaging my son for the greater good of Husker Nation.

Alison said...

Sounds like he is going to be as bright as his mom!

Anonymous said...

As a speech-language pathologist, I know Nate is "keeping up with the pack." I'm impressed with his vocab and that you have a printed list of it. We usually want to see around 20 words by 2 years, with the first word around a year. I wish I could say the same for my girl. Some days I think she says "up," but I'm not convinced yet. Maybe she should spend more time with Nate. And take the pacifier out once in a while.
Jenni