Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, September 18, 2006

Wild Windy Weekends

Things for me tend to stay pretty routine and well frankly, quite boring. I don't mind too much since it seems to keep N pretty predictable. Saturday I worked my hardest to keep the day as normal as possible. B had to go on a confirmation retreat Saturday into Sunday, and it was going to be my first time to have N overnight by myself. Overall the day went pretty well. He even went to bed fairly easy around 7:30 p.m. I was enjoying my peace and quiet as I sat flipping between TLC and the Nebraska v. USC game. According to the radar some pretty ugly storms were out there. I just kept praying that they would move north faster than east. It didn't happen. On my first night without B since having N, the tornado sirens start going off! (And I'm not one to like storms ever since a tree in my parents yard got hit by lightning several years back.) I unhappily got knocked out N out of his crib and headed for the basement stairs. I made a few calls to Gin and then Cor so someone would be keeping me company. After about 30 minutes of sirens, they finally turned off and stayed off. B's admin. assistant called me, since she knew I was alone, to check on me. She informed me that a tornado had touched down a half mile south and east of my house! YIKES! B's mom also called to make sure that we were alright. Shortly after that my mom called. I assumed she was returning the call I had made to her, but no she wasn't. She was informing me that my brother and sister-in-law were at the hospital because she was having contractions. She's not due til December! What a crazy night! I was getting to the point where I didn't know if I wanted to answer another phone call! Luckily, we got through the rest of the night fine. The tornado did no damage, and Linds is home safe from the hospital. I think the lesson to be learned here is that B is not allowed to leave me home alone ever again!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

All I can say is SCARY! I hate tornadoes! Especially when you are alone. Reminds me of when we had the hurricane and Matt was on base and I was alone at home. I feel for ya! Glad you and Nate are ok. Sorry to add more drama to the night :) I promise to try and not do that again! :)